Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: OpenVAS plans to integrate NSE support

From: "Jan-Oliver Wagner" <Jan-Oliver.Wagner () greenbone net>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 20:48:41 +0100

On Friday 26 February 2010 19:33:08 David Fifield wrote:
On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 07:16:03AM -0600, Ron wrote:
At this point, I think what you're saying is a major weakness of
Zenmap -- it has no way to prompt the user for the proper parameters
for scripts, it expects users to just know. Maybe it's something we
can explore in Zenmap as well?

This is a TODO item already. You're right, it would be great if the
profile editor could show the documentation for each script, and
automatically parse out the possible script arguments and make text
boxes to fill in.

I think this could be done tolerably well through scraping of the script
source code. Zenmap and OpenVAS wouldn't have to have a Lua interpreter.

It would be great to avoid to run our own lua interpreter.
Actually, for OVAL we do run an interpreter, but it is the already built-in
XML parser.

Ages ago I implemented the "--interface-description" feature for GRASS
which is a collection of several hundred command line tools. The output is a generic
XML description of the input parameters (title, type, defaults, etc).
This was the base for building a generic GUI on top to drive any of the tools.
Perhaps a similar concept makes sense for the NSEs and Zenmap?

All the best

        Jan

--
Greenbone Networks GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, 49074 Osnabrück
AG Osnabrück, HR B 202460 | Geschäftsführer: Lukas Grunwald, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner