Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Raw IP NSE Functionality

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 18:30:44 -0700

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 07:59:50PM -0500, kx wrote:
Oh no! That is my fault.

I recommended math.randomseed(os.time()) to Kris because when I ran
the ip-id script it was generating the same 6 source port/tcp sequence
numbers each time I ran Nmap and I wanted to see different values.

What would be a better way to seed that? Something like os.time() plus
the IP plus the port or something?

Or could nse call math.randomseed(os.time()) once before any scripts run?

I think the last option is the best. There are a couple of other scripts
that currently do math.randomseed(os.time()) too.

David Fifield