Nmap Development mailing list archives

pcap_register

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 15:48:12 -0700

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 04:36:44PM -0600, Kris Katterjohn wrote:
The BPF filter alone won't prohibit one script from receiving another
script's packets. As I understand it, that's the purpose of the extra
pcap_register step. You could make the matching more robust by
registering all the information that you currently have in the BPF,
which is the source and destination hosts as well as the source port.

I'm not understanding the purposefulness of this.  Why is one script with a
filter for one host still getting packets from another host responding to a
different script?  Matching source ports or not, I don't think it should
happen because of the different address *in the filter*.  It's all raw packets
here, so I don't grasp why this isn't done.

I thought the pcap_register() bit was like additional filtering, after the
processing pcap does with its BPF filter.  I thought it was very useful when
things change, like the source port in the script, but only if (as I imagined)
it happens after pcap's filtering.

In this regard, I wanted to put as much in the BPF filter as I could to reduce
the pcap_register() stuff, so if the filter doesn't really filter for the
script, I must ask: what's the point of having both?  Or better yet: what
advantages does the current way present?

It's more complicated than you would think at first. Marek Majkowski
explained to me a little while ago, but I don't think I understand it
well enough to speak authoritatively. I'll copy him on this and maybe he
can tell you more about it.

David Fifield