Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: False positives on antivirus

From: Ron <ron () skullsecurity net>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 12:55:52 -0600

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 13:43:10 -0500
Michael Pattrick <mpattrick () rhinovirus org> wrote:

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 10:57 AM, Ron <ron () skullsecurity net> wrote:
1. Encode the file in a simple way
--> Didn't work in the simplest case, because some a/v still detects it
Out of curiosity, what did you try?
I should have linked to the other thread, it was sort of off topic, but eh? I tried xor'ing every byte by a static
value, which failed, spectacularly.

We found a couple ways that DO work, such as by prepending a null byte to the file, replacing the 'MZ' at the start
with something else, etc. But like I said, it's a matter of time before some kind of malware does the same thing and we
start getting picked up again.

2. Encrypt the file properly
--> No reason that it wouldn't work (though I've said that before and was very wrong ;) )
--> Dependency on OpenSSL (dependency already exists)
--> Will take me awhile to implement (I'm going to be rather busy for the next month or so)

I'd argue that we don't need to go as far as a dependency on OpenSSL
just to trick antivirus programs. The attached file implements a
simple - small - stream cipher, which should be able to trick all
antiviruses. The encryption operation is the same as the decryption
operations, so it should be convenient to use.
That's true, but we already have a dependency on OpenSSL (you would never get to this point without it), so it makes
more sense (and requires less code) to just use one of their crypto routines.

-M

--
Ron Bowes
http://www.skullsecurity.org