Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nmap showing all non-listening port 80 as "filtered"

From: vladz <vladz () devzero fr>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 10:11:05 +0100

Hi,

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 08:45:06AM -0500, nexact wrote:
I'm trying to figure why nmap is reporting all port 80 that is not closed or
opened as "filtered".

The "filtered" state does not mean that port is opened. It means that nmap
did not receive any SYN/ACK or RST packet from port 80.

I know that port 80 is listening for .171, however I'm 100% sure that
there's no firewall nor open port for .185 .. but it's still displaying it
as "filtered"

Which OS is running on .185 ? If port 80 is closed and not filtered, host
should reply with RST packet. Maybe you could verify this with tcpdump or
hping ?

vladz.