Nmap Development mailing list archives

nmap showing all non-listening port 80 as "filtered"

From: nexact <nexact () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 08:45:06 -0500

Hello,

I'm trying to figure why nmap is reporting all port 80 that is not closed or
opened as "filtered".

My network is really simple and there's no QoS nor filtering done by my
router.

Here's an example :
n$ sudo nmap -sS -v -P0 -p80 *.*.*.171,185
Host * (*.*.*.171) is up (0.015s latency).
Interesting ports on * (*.*.*.171):
PORT   STATE SERVICE
80/tcp open  http

Host * (*.*.*.185) is up.
Interesting ports on * (*.*.*.185):
PORT   STATE    SERVICE
80/tcp filtered http

I know that port 80 is listening for .171, however I'm 100% sure that
there's no firewall nor open port for .185 .. but it's still displaying it
as "filtered"

I did some research to try to understand what is happening but it led to
nothing so far.

Could any of you explain me what is happening and is there a way to fix that
? (no grep -v, please)

- Nexact

--
nexact