Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Suggestion for Docs

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 12:28:57 -0700

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 11:32:12AM -0000, Rob Nicholls wrote:
Bug #2: If the GUI installer is used and the user unchecks the box to start
WinPcap at startup it will skip the next option and won't start npf as
potentially requested.

I see this bug and I see that your patch fixes it.

Bug #3: We only set the registry key to 2, we never set it to 1. This
*might* mean that the key is never changed from 2 if the user has previously
installed WinPcap, despite unchecking the box in our installer during later
installations.

Did you mean to write "we never set it to 3"? If I understand your
patch, it sets the value to 3 by default, and then changes it to 2 if
the user checks the box. You're saying that without the patch, if the
registry key already had the value 2 (meaning to start the service at
boot), the Nmap installer would not disable the startup at boot when the
user had left the box unchecked.

I think I get what's going on, I just want to check my possible
misunderstanding between the values 1 and 3. By the way, for anyone else
reading, I found these definitions of the meaning of the values in
winpcap-nmap.nsi:

; Service start options
!define SERVICE_AUTO_START              0x00000002
!define SERVICE_BOOT_START              0x00000000
!define SERVICE_DEMAND_START            0x00000003
!define SERVICE_DISABLED                0x00000004
!define SERVICE_SYSTEM_START            0x00000001

David Fifield