Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: GSoC: Hosted Scanner

From: Michael Pattrick <mpattrick () rhinovirus org>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 15:48:05 -0400

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 3:36 PM, Mike Smith <scgtrp () gmail com> wrote:
Thanks to both of you. I'm starting to write the application now.

By the way, I noticed a contradiction in the two pages mentioning this project:
From the main idea list page: "The Nmap project will pay for virtual
machine hosting (probably a Linode instance) for the project
duration."
From the requirements document: "You must have root access to a UNIX
machine connected to the Internet that you can set this up on."

Will the Nmap project give me a server to develop on or will I have to
find my own? I *should* be able to find one, but if not I'd have to
resort to developing on my laptop, which isn't a problem except that
outsiders won't be able to test except when I'm awake (I don't leave
my computers on overnight).

I can't speak for Fyodor, however, imo something like this shouldn't
be live on the internet while under development due to the obvious
security precautions. If I were developing such an application I would
run the test server on a virtual machine such as VirtualBox. When you
want to demo the product to Fyodor, David, etc you can set the VM NIC
to bridge with your network card so its time on the internet will be
minimized.

-M