Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: GSoC: Hosted Scanner

From: Mike Smith <scgtrp () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 02:04:53 -0400

(Was this supposed to go to the mailing list? Replying there anyway.)

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 1:14 AM, Michael Pattrick
<mpattrick () rhinovirus org> wrote:
Hello Mike,

The hosted scanner is a neat project, here are a few tips for your application:
 - Python is probably better, as the Nmap family of projects already
has several dependencies on Python, and adding different dependencies
is no fun.
Well, that works out nicely. I like Python more anyway :)

 - The hosted scan page already has a lot of the details worked out in
abstract, but you should still communicate how you will meet the
important requirements. Ie, do you have any techniques for sanitizing
input.
"Follow best-practices for CGI security, such as limiting field values
to known-trusted patterns rather than trying to remove "bad"
characters."
Not sure I can say it any better than that, for example no valid port
range would ever contain anything but numbers and dashes.

 - While a lot of the details have already been flushed out, there is
still room for creativity. Be sure to include any unique ideas you
have for the project.
Nothing interesting currently, but I'll be sure to include anything I think of.