Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap SoC Ideas?

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 13:29:29 -0700

On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 09:45:18AM +0530, Rahul Golwalkar wrote:
      I was thinking that adding a Proxy support for nmap would enhance its
use greatly, as a arge portion of users are behind proxies these days. This
would also support anonymous port scanning. Can you suggest whether this
will be a good GSoC proposal?

Hi Rahul.  Proxy scanning is something we definitely want to have in
Nmap at some point.  If you haven't already, be sure to read the
section about it in the Nmap TODO list
(http://nmap.org/svn/docs/TODO).

There are already external patches available for implementing simple
proxy scanning in Nmap, but doing this efficiently and cleanly is a
difficult problem.  So a SoC application would have to be very
compelling (in terms of demonstrating the applicant's talents and
understanding about how parallel proxy scanning would work) for us to
sponsor that for a first-time SoC student's Summer project.  This is
the sort of project that would usually be done by a seasoned Nmap
developer.

However, I still think a proxy application is a good idea!  It is
possible that we'd sponsor it directly, and even if we don't we would
consider the applicant for other roles.  Our main goal in reviewing
applications is identifying the most talented, motivated, and
experienced students.  Then the next step is trying to match them with
projects.  It is often easiest for applicants to shine and demonstrate
their talents when they go off the beaten path of our ideas list and
come up with their own project ideas.  Even when we don't sponsor that
exact project, we're often able to work with them to find something
else they want to do for the summer.

Cheers,
-F