Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Requests for script dependencies

From: Ron <ron () skullsecurity net>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 09:27:46 -0600

On 12/28/2009 05:28 AM, Patrick Donnelly wrote:
On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 11:15 PM, David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com> wrote:
Before we had these runlevel definitions different from 1.0:

0.5: smb-brute
2.0: smb-check-vulns snmp-sysdescr p2p-conficker

The dependencies capture all of that except for p2p-conficker. I can't
remember why p2p-conficker is in runlevel 2 to begin with; does anyone
know? It's in "default" and "safe" so it can't be because of a risk of
crashing. Probably we can just leave it out of the dependencies.

Here's what Ron wrote when I asked him about it:

"I don't think p2p-conficker runs on anything. The reason it has a
non-zero runlevel is because it's slow, and therefore I wanted it to run
concurrently with the other conficker script, which in turn has a
runlevel because it breaks things."

Yeah, that is correct. After talking to Patrick, I looked it up, and it
turns out I left a comment on p2p-conficker.nse:

-- Set the runlevel to 2. This means this script will run last, but it
will also run in parallel with smb-check-vulns.nse,
-- which will generally be run at the same time. So, by setting this to
2, we increase our parallelism.
runlevel = 2

Therefore, there's no issue with running it whenever. It was simply a hack.

Ron

--
Ron Bowes
http://www.skullsecurity.org/