Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] Script Dependencies Replacement for Runlevels

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 23:15:29 -0800

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 06:29:06PM -0700, David Fifield wrote:
On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 05:58:58PM -0600, Ron wrote:
Patrick Donnelly wrote:

smb-security-mode.nse prints out the user that was performing all the
tests. To get a good reading, it should run after at least one script.
Therefore, smb-security-mode.nse sort of has a weak dependency on smb-*.
So there's a use case for it.

Right now, I'm solving it with "runlevel = 1.01", but that's hacky.

I didn't mean "*login" is a wildcard matching script names. It just
stands for any syntax that could be used to stand for a class of
scripts. It could be [login] or $auth$ or whatever, just to indicate
that a script is capable of finding accounts that other scripts might
want to use. Your use of runlevel = 1.01 is exactly what would need a
replacement when we change to a dependency system.

I realize that matching scripts with wildcards in the dependency
specification is not exactly what you had in mind, but it doesn't
sound like a bad idea to me.  At first it seemed hackish, but it does
simplify things as you don't need to add the likes of
"provides=brute-force" lines in *-brute.  If some scripts have names
which aren't conducive to this sort of globbing, they can always be
listed explicitly.  So my first reaction is actually to prefer this
sort of script ID (same as the filename) globbing to a more formalized
system of provides/requires.

Cheers,
Fyodor