Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [ncat] Thoughts about a --dns option?

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 13:22:18 -0700

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 01:50:32PM -0600, Ron wrote:
David Fifield wrote:
On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 07:10:56PM -0600, Ron wrote:
I don't think something like this belongs in Ncat but it is very
interesting. In your explanation, the "DNS server" isn't just any old
DNS server, but a custom data-transfer program that understands the
protocol, correct?

I think this might work well implemented as a proxy server. That way
anything could use it as a tunnel.

Yeah, the DNS server has to be a custom server. The client doesn't
necessarily need a custom DNS implementation to send data, which has
given me interesting ideas (browser backdoor anyone?)

What I've done so far is put together a C program that implements it,
and it's working to an extent. I need to play around with it and come up
with a more general "protocol" that other apps can use.

I found this while doing version submissions. NSTX does IP-over-DNS
transport.

http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/nstx/
http://thomer.com/howtos/nstx.html

David Fifield