Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nmap doesn't work as root

From: Steven Thomas Smith <s.t.smith () ieee org>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 07:17:14 -0500

5.10BETA1 it is -- that worked, and yes, on 10.6.2. Thanks much.

Best,

Steve

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 3:59 PM, David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>wrote:

On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 04:27:11PM -0500, Steven Thomas Smith wrote:
I've downloaded and compiled nmap 5.00 and have run into an old problem:
nmap doesn't run correctly a root. Compare nmap behavior as user to sudo:

[~]% *nmap 192.168.1.110*
Starting Nmap 5.00 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2009-11-21 16:14 EST
Warning: File ./nmap-services exists, but Nmap is using
/usr/local/share/nmap/nmap-services for security and consistency reasons.
set NMAPDIR=. to give priority to files in your local directory (may
affect
the other data files too).
Interesting ports on 192.168.1.110:
Not shown: 994 closed ports
PORT     STATE SERVICE
22/tcp   open  ssh
111/tcp  open  rpcbind
139/tcp  open  netbios-ssn
445/tcp  open  microsoft-ds

*Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.12 seconds
*[~]% *sudo nmap 192.168.1.110*
Password:

Starting Nmap 5.00 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2009-11-21 16:14 EST
Warning: File ./nmap-services exists, but Nmap is using
/usr/local/share/nmap/nmap-services for security and consistency reasons.
set NMAPDIR=. to give priority to files in your local directory (may
affect
the other data files too).
Warning: Unable to open interface vmnet8 -- skipping it.
Warning: Unable to open interface vmnet1 -- skipping it.
*Note: Host seems down. If it is really up, but blocking our ping probes,
try -PN
Nmap done: 1 IP address (0 hosts up) scanned in 0.26 seconds
*
For a history of this problem, see:
*
HAVE_IP_IP_SUM 0 doesn't work for root<
http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2006/q1/65>

Is this on Mac OS X 10.6? If so, please try version 5.10BETA1, released
yesterday. Also, there may be problems if you are running 10.6 or
10.6.1, but 10.6.2 should work fine.

David Fifield