Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: SIP version detection script

From: Patrik Karlsson <patrik () cqure net>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 00:13:35 +0100

On 24 nov 2009, at 23.58, Fyodor wrote:

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 09:01:36AM +0100, Patrik Karlsson wrote:

I have an updated script that does that and works against 5060/tcp
and 5061/tcp (SIP TLS).  However, as I posted earlier I realized
that there is a static probe in nmap-service-probes that already
works against 5060/tcp. So I'm guessing that same probe could be
sent to 5060/udp as well and make my script redundant?

Hi Patrik.  Thanks for sending your SIP script, and you make a good
point here about the existing static probe.

In general, it is best to handle version detection using that
subsystem (e.g. nmap-service-probes) rather than NSE.
Nmap-service-probes is less powerful and flexible, but more efficient
to execute and maintain.  But it can only handle 1 static probe and a
regex-parseable response.  I see that your script uses a more dynamic
probe containing the source IP address, etc.

Maybe you can experiment with 5060/udp and see if you can get the same
version information with just a version detection probe and match
line(s) in nmap-service-probes?  Like we do for TCP.  That would be
the ideal case.  If that cannot be done, your new SIP script is a
great fallback option.

Cheers,
-F

Hi Fyodor,

Thanks for the explanation. It turned out that there's no need for that dynamic stuff to be in there in order to
trigger a response, at least not for the equipment I tested it against using the static probe already in nmap. I did a
quick test against UDP using the static probe and got answers back that seemed equivalent to those recieved over TCP.
For some reason they failed to match any of the existing lines though?

//Patrik