Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [RFC] Detect certain Citrix application browsing services

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 11:09:00 -0700

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 02:07:34AM -0800, Fyodor wrote:
On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 08:13:55PM -0700, David Fifield wrote:
On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 04:54:35PM -0600, Thomas Buchanan wrote:

I'm looking for feedback on a couple of aspects of the patches.  First,
how should one determine the frequency values when adding entries to
nmap-services?  I used a value from the next closest port, but that
seems pretty arbitrary.

We have a record for port 1604/udp in the master nmap-services-all file,
but because it has a frequency of 0 it is left out of the smaller
nmap-services file.

unknown           1604/udp      0/3027

If we have reason to believe the port is interesting, I think it is OK
to just bump this up to 1/3027 and that should get it added to
nmap-services.  Eventually we will get better UDP data (ours is pretty
limited for ports like this which were unnamed), but for now a little
manual adjustment or two is fine.  That can be useful not just for
missed services, but for new ones which have become popular since the
most recent port frequency survey.

For what it's worth, I tried

nmap -PU1604 -sP -iR 10000 -n --reason

using the Citrix payload and got

# Nmap done at Tue Nov 24 10:38:48 2009 -- 10000 IP addresses (189 hosts up) scanned in 151.77 seconds

But all the up hosts were because of destination unreachable replies,
none from udp-response. In this case the UDP payload didn't help.

David Fifield