Nmap Development mailing list archives

Removing email addresses from NSE script author field

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 20:08:28 -0800

Hi folks.  I've noticed NSE author fields in several formats,
including:

p2p-conficker.nse: author = "Ron Bowes (with research from Symantec Security Response)"

http-enum.nse: author = "Ron Bowes <ron () skullsecurity net>, Andrew Orr
                         <andrew () andreworr ca>, Rob Nicholls
                         <robert () everythingeverything co uk>"

smb-enum-sessions.nse: author = "Ron Bowes"

Hehe, I just noticed that Ron is in all of my examples.  That fellow
is prolific :).

I'd say that at least half the scripts contain email addresses which
are then posted without any anti-spam obfuscation on pages like
http://nmap.org/nsedoc/scripts/http-enum.html.  Email addresses also
tend to go out of date.

So I'm thinking of removing the email addresses from the scripts
(keeping the associated names, of course).

If you care one way or the other on this, let me know.  If people
don't want their email addresses removed, I can look into implementing
the same sort of anti-spam obfuscation used for the seclists.org
mailing list archives.

Cheers,
-F