Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [ANNOUNCE] WinPcap 4.1 has been released

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 17:47:35 -0700

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 09:29:38AM -0700, Gianluca Varenni wrote:
As of today, WinPcap 4.1 is available in the download section of the
WinPcap website.

This release contains a large series of improvements that were gradually
added to WinPcap during the various beta's.

Congratulations, Gianluca!  This looks like a great release, and I've
added an upgrade task to our TODO file.

Of course adding the task to docs/TODO doesn't actually get the job
done.  Does anyone here want to give it a try?  We need to upgrade our
Winpcap 4.02 installer to 4.1 (make that 4.1.1--I see they did a 2nd
release today) and then we'll start including that with Nmap.  The
only significant (intentional) difference between our installer and
the "official" one is that ours supports silent install mode.  We only
use that /S (silent) switch when the Nmap installer is in silent mode
too.  This feature helps with batch and remote installations where you
don't have users at the screen to click around.

A slightly related issue is that we should upgrade the Libpcap which
comes with Nmap from 0.9.7 to 1.0.0.

Cheers,
Fyodor