Nmap Development mailing list archives

ncrack --resume testing

From: ithilgore <ithilgore.ryu.l () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 00:45:04 +0300

Hello nmap-dev.

I recently completed implementing --resume support for Ncrack and soon
a new release is scheduled to happen. As of now, I urge you to try
this new feature and report any problems that might arise. The latest version
can always be found from the svn repository.

There is still one issue that I would like your opinion before resolving it.
Currently, this is the way --resume works:
* User starts up a session
* User presses Ctrl+C to abort scan
* Ncrack saves the current session into a file called ncrack.restore in the current directory
* User can then continue the session by invoking "ncrack --resume ncrack.restore"

I was thinking, that Ncrack could ask the user about the path and name of the file
to which the saved state will be stored. This will happen if the user presses Ctrl+C.
If the user doesn't start typing something in about 10 seconds OR if he presses Ctrl+C
again, then by default Ncrack will save the session file into the current directory
under the name ncrack.restore-<current_date> where <current_date> is substituted
with some date format.

I am open to suggestions about any better ways to do the above.
Note, that as of now, the file isn't stored in a platform-independent way (so you
can't save the state in a x86 machine and continue it in a 64bit system)
but soon I will take care of these portability issues.

Regards,
ithilgore