Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: dhcp script!

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 00:13:06 -0600

On Tue, Sep 08, 2009 at 04:35:54PM -0400, Walt Scrivens wrote:
On Sep 8, 2009, at 3:21 PM, David Fifield wrote:
Try with -PN --send-ip. Maybe something is up with ARP ping.

Yes.
Since I'm running on Unix (Mac) it would have defaulted to raw ethernet
packets.  I presume a Windows host would have worked without --send-ip.
I'll check that and report later.

So now, (dumb newbie question) - why is the router not responding to the
ethernet frame but does respond to the IP packet?    Isn't the packet
content the same after the headers are stripped off?

I don't have time now, but will run with Wireshark later to see what I
can learn.

Are you running Snow Leopard? We had another report that ARP pings
weren't working.

http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2009/q3/0827.html

Try getting a full packet capture of the following commands.

sudo arp -d 192.168.1.1
sudo nmap -sP --send-ip 192.168.1.1

David Fifield