Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: dhcp script!

From: Brandon Enright <bmenrigh () ucsd edu>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 00:10:20 +0000

On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 19:56:30 -0400
Walt Scrivens <walts () gate net> wrote:

OK this is the last one for tonight :-)  I have a busy day tomorrow
so I may not get back at this until Thursday.

This pcap file only contains a single packet (ICMP ECHO request).

Eliminating the -PN gets us a MAC address - but wouldn't that have
come from the Ping Reply packet?

The MAC has to come from ARP which your OS did for you (probably from
the ARP cache) because you used --send-ip.

Also I don't understand why the RST,ACK followed by RST between the
Ping Reply and the Timestamp Reply.

This isn't in you pcap.

Also, sorry - I forgot to save only the filtered packets on the
first few capture files.  If you set a display filter
ip.src==192.168.1.1 or ip.dst==192.168.1.1
That will clean things up a bit!

Wireshark has a shortcut for "ip.src==192.168.1.1 or
ip.dst==192.168.1.1" which is "ip.addr == 192.168.1.1".

Also, you can do "udp.port == 67" which will get both src and dst.

Regarding your previous pcaps that had the two "malformed" packets.
Those were the UDP probes from Nmap's -sU -p67 to try to see if 67 is
open, not from Ron's script.

Regarding the ICMP destination unreachable sent by your host, that is
from your OS.  Your OS doesn't know that you sent the DHCP request so
when it sees a response it sends that back.  It won't cause problems
with the script.

Regarding your first pcap that you did a DHCPDISCOVER in, the DHCPOFFER
that came back looks good to me.  It isn't clear why Ron's script
didn't seem to see it.

Regarding your second pcap that you did a DHCPDISCOVER in and a DHCPACK
came back, the ACK went back to your request port, not port UDP/68.
Ron's script is looking for a response back to UDP 68.

I think Ron will be able to figure out why he didn't see the correct
OFFER come back in your first pcap.

Brandon