Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: dhcp script!

From: Ron <ron () skullsecurity net>
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2009 12:03:34 -0500

On 09/08/2009 11:32 AM, Kris Katterjohn wrote:
Regardless of whether you use DHCPREQUEST by default or just as an option,
couldn't you just specify the lease time (option 51) as 1s?

Obviously it'd be better to not actually grab an IP address, but this seems
reasonable if somebody wants to use this type (or needs to because others fail
or something).

Note that I'm just throwing this out there.  All I've done is just glance at
section 9.2 in RFC 2132.  DHCP servers could very well not allow any low lease
times (either by the protocol or configured not to).  However maybe if a
server defaults to a>=1 day lease time, and you specify 1s, it'll give you a
lease of something much lower like a half-hour or so.  I'm just speculating as
I don't know much about DHCP other than just what it takes to have a
functioning LAN (which isn't all that much).

Anyway, I hope this was at least worth reading ;)

That's a good point, and I'll definitely do it if I use DHCPREQUEST.

I doubt all routers will honour it, though. My experience with my WRT54G is that it totally ignores any options you send it and does what it wants to.

For anybody who has some free time, I'd like to get some feedback on if dhcptype=DHCPDISCOVER works (and gives useful results) in all cases.

Ron