Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Two NSE questions

From: Patrick Donnelly <batrick () batbytes com>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 22:57:23 -0400

Hi Ron,

On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 9:46 PM, Ron<ron () skullsecurity net> wrote:
Hi all,

I'm trying to implement a script to send/receive DHCP Inform requests. And,
it almost works, except for two problems that I don't know how to resolve.

I know these can both be fixed using raw sockets, but I'd really like to
avoid that.

First, I need to set my source port to UDP/68 for these transactions. I
don't see any way to do that using the connect() function. I realize that
UDP/68 is reserved so r00t is required, but -sU requires root anyways.

I had believed that manually making a packet for a raw socket was the
only way to do this? If it is possible in the nsock library then David
or I can change it.

Second, I need to know the MAC address of the interface that I'm listening
on. Is there (or can there be) any way to do that from NSE? Ideally, it'd be
nice if socket:get_info() returned it, but I don't know what would be
involved.

I'm not sure on this either.

--
-Patrick Donnelly

"Let all men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely
ford that see the shallows."

- Benjamin Franklin