Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: NSE Host Groups and Previous Host Accessibility

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 15:42:31 -0600

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 04:54:31PM -0400, Patrick Donnelly wrote:
On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 4:27 PM, David Fifield<david () bamsoftware com> wrote:
On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 09:05:19PM -0400, Patrick Donnelly wrote:
Right now NSE keeps old hosts in the "current_hosts" table (in the Lua
Registry [1]) even after the current host group has finished. This
means that scripts can modify these hosts (change port version, port
state, etc.) in a different host group. There are possibly some good
reasons for doing this and possibly some scripts already doing this. I
wondered if anyone would be against disallowing the use of hosts from
an old host group (as I believe it was originally intended) in the
future.

If you can modify hosts from previous host groups I think that's
contrary to intention. These are hosts whose output has already been
printed, after all. Do these records never go away, and keep consuming
memory?

I just checked, the Targets are freed after results are printed. So,
when a script in another hostgroup tries to use a freed host we will
have some memory problems. I confirmed this with valgrind. I'll go
ahead and fix this.

Thanks, and good job tracking it down.

David Fifield