Nmap Development mailing list archives

Request for testing of HP PJL service probe

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 15:13:52 -0600

Hi,

In r15334 I added Brandon Enright's Printer Job Language service probe
from http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2009/q1/0560.html. I would like it to
have wider testing.

The probe as it stands is inactive because its ports (9100-9107) are the
same as the Exclude ports. So you will have to do a little extra work to
test it. Open the nmap-service-probes file and comment out this line
near the top:

Exclude T:9100-9107

It should look like this when you're done:

# Exclude T:9100-9107

Then, run this scan over a network with a printer or anything listening
on ports 9100-9107:

nmap --datadir . -PS9100-9107 -sV -p 9100-9107 <network>

The --datadir argument is important to make sure Nmap is using your
edited nmap-service-probes. We are interested in positive and negative
results. If the probe identified all your printers correctly, please let
us know. If you got back a service fingerprint, send it in. If the probe
messed up your printer and you have to reboot it, or if it printed
anything, that's particularly noteworthy. Check to make sure you can
still print after running after the scan.

I really don't think there will be problems with the probe. I just want
to be extra careful considering that it's potentially using a physical
resource.

David Fifield