Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [Zenmap] New Host Search GUI

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 23:55:33 -0700

On Wed, Jul 01, 2009 at 07:22:31PM -0600, David Fifield wrote:
On Wed, Jul 01, 2009 at 06:34:07PM -0600, David Fifield wrote:
On Wed, Jul 01, 2009 at 08:13:44PM -0400, J Marlow wrote:

http://www.bamsoftware.com/wiki/Nmap/ZenmapHostFiltering

My idea is that the filter expression takes up a small part of the
screen while it's active, and disappears when it's inactive. It would
affect the whole interface: the Ports / Hosts tab and the Topology view
in particular.

I'm curious what other people had in mind as to how host filtering
should work.

That looks great to me!  It might be nice to have a little question
mark or other icon by the field label which pops up syntax help.  That
could be as simiple as opening a web browser to the expression syntax
page.  You currently find it here:

http://nmap.org/book/zenmap-search.html#zenmap-fig-search-expressions

But it would probably be moved to a separate section from "searching
saved results" since filtered results will presumably share the same
syntax.

This is the sort of feature which really makes a GUI shine.  Even if I
ran a big scan from the command-line I can imagine opening the XML
results up in Zenmap to analyze results just for this feature alone.
It would make it so effortless to show just the boxes with SSH, just
the ones with Apache web servers running, just the Linux machines,
just those infected by Conficker, etc.

Cheers,
-F