Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [Zenmap] New Host Search GUI

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 19:22:31 -0600

On Wed, Jul 01, 2009 at 06:34:07PM -0600, David Fifield wrote:
On Wed, Jul 01, 2009 at 08:13:44PM -0400, J Marlow wrote:
I'm working on a new search feature for Zenmap that will allow for
searching for hosts within a scan that matches some criteria.  Here is
my current take on what the GUI should look like.  Any suggestions?
For instance, should we incorporate buttons for selecting the criteria
also, as in the existing scan search interface?

I envisioned the host filtering working somewhat differently than what
Josh has just presented. Instead of having a separate window showing a
list of matching hosts, I want the filter to limit the hosts that are
shown in the main interface. It would be something like the l command in
Mutt. I'll make a graphic showing what I mean.

http://www.bamsoftware.com/wiki/Nmap/ZenmapHostFiltering

My idea is that the filter expression takes up a small part of the
screen while it's active, and disappears when it's inactive. It would
affect the whole interface: the Ports / Hosts tab and the Topology view
in particular.

I'm curious what other people had in mind as to how host filtering
should work.

David Fifield