Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap 5 and Zenmap, woes on OS X.iv.xi; warnings and nulls

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 11:27:08 -0600

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 06:40:25AM -0700, Autymn D. C. wrote:
! The last time I did "ls /" I didn't spot a /dev/.  But there it is.
How can I make folders un-invisible in Finder?  I ran the ch-commands
at the prompt; will they stick after a restart or do I need a runtime
script?  If the latter, how do I install ChmodBPF?

Unfortunately you need a startup script. I don't remember exactly how to
install ChmodBPF, but the instructions come with Wireshark. I think you
copy it to /Library/StartupItems and make sure the permissions are set
correctly.

GTK+ 2.14b is installed fine, I think, but I couldn't install PyGTK
2.14 or its dependends—for a while:

You are brave to try compiling all of Zenmap's dependencies from
source--that's not the recommended procedure because there are so
many. Do you know about the installer for Mac OS X?

http://nmap.org/download.html#macosx<

I never saw your download page!  My "kit" was from BrotherSoft.  Your
installer works, and Zenmap is finally installed and works!  Where are
scripts/, docs/, nselib/, nmap-services, nmap-protocols, and so on?

They are under /usr/local/share/nmap.

How does the installer do any differently than the former's
instructions?  I see now there are no longer pygtk or gobject Python
modules, and it runs on X11.

All those files are inside the /Applications/Zenmap.app bundle (which is
really just a directory, you can control-click the icon to see what's
inside it). Instead of having an external MacPorts tree, the application
bundle contains its own MacPorts tree.

If you're going to install Zenmap from source, don't compile all the
dependencies manually. Use a packaging system like MacPorts. That
will solve all your problems with finding new enough versions of
libraries. With MacPorts, you have to install the packages py25-gtk,
py25-sqlite3, and py25-zlib, and then configure Nmap setting the
PYTHON environment variable to the path of the Python interpreter
installed by MacPorts.<

I had MacPorts one evening, but no longer cared for the new /opt
paths, so I wiped everything there; also I didn't understand how to
port...  Did I still need gobject and gettext?

You need lots of dependencies. The MacPorts installation I use to build
the installer, which has nothing that's not needed for Zenmap, has 96
packages installed, including gettext and glib2 (which contains
gobject).

David Fifield