Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Call for testers: Nping 0.1BETA1 Released.

From: "Luis M." <luis.mgarc () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2009 18:53:12 +0100

Hi Jason,

DePriest, Jason R. wrote:
Incomplete part of the man page.  I think.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
ETHERNET OPTIONS
       In most cases Nping sends packets at raw IP level. This means
that Nping creates its own IP packets and trasmits them through a raw
socket. However, in some cases it may be necessary to send packets at
the raw Ethernet level. This happens, for example, when Nping is run
under Windows (as Microsoft has disabled raw socket support since
Windows XP SP2), or when Nping is asked to send ARP packets. Since in
some cases it is necessary to construct ethernet frames, Nping offers
some options to manipulate the different fields.

       --dest-mac mac (Ethernet Destination MAC Address) .
           This option

       --source-mac mac (Ethernet Source MAC Address) .
           Hey...

Ops! I had forgotten about that part. I'll fill it in soon.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

My first instinct with the --flags option was to try
--flags ASFR
which failed.
Using
--flags ACK,SYN,FIN,RST
was counterintuitive.

I've already modified this to be more flexible so you can specify things
like --flags ASFR

The way nping does it is fine, but could you add something to the -h
help to specify how you do it?

There is just not enough space for it. -h output should be a reminder of
the syntax, not a reference guide. I am afraid users will have to check
the man page.

Thanks.

Thanks,

Luis.