Nmap Development mailing list archives

RE: bug report

From: "Rob Nicholls" <robert () everythingeverything co uk>
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 21:45:09 +0100

Is it listing a different MAC address for every IP that's up, or is it the
same IP no matter what? I think I've seen that behaviour once before with a
wireless access point that appeared to return its own MAC address for every
local IP address (even, as you've seen, when the host doesn't exist).

You can add --reason to the command line to see why Nmap thinks the host is
up, but if it's an IP on your subnet then it basically has to be an
"arp-response", which means that something on your network is returning an
ARP response to you and claiming to be that IP.

For reference, I couldn't reproduce your issue with Nmap 5.00 on my copy of
Windows XP SP3 (the service pack shouldn't make a difference).

Rob