Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Exporting Topology

From: Max <nmap () webwizarddesign com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 13:24:14 -0400

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 3:03 PM, Patrick Lui<plui31 () yahoo com> wrote:
I'm looking for a way to find all the  network devices.  I understand that nmap can do this but what I want  to get
also is the associations/relationships between the devices. For example, if it finds a router/switch, it can tell me
which devices  are connected to it.  This is similar to the Topology view in Zenmap but is there a way to export it
as text?

Thanks!

Patrick,

SNMP discovery might be more what you are looking for as with it you
can query a network devices' ARP cache and vendor-specific peering
tables (for example CDP with Cisco) to let you map out a network.
There are a variety of free and commercial tools that will help you do
this.

If the node with nmap on it is attached to a device implementing a
vendor-specific discovery protocol like CDP then one can just listen
to a network interface in promiscuous mode and intercept discovery
packets from the device (unless the admin has turned off discovery
broadcasts for the interface) to determine which port on the network
device the nmap host is attached to.  but that is just one hop :p.
Would certainly be a neat feature for nmap for it to be able to use
that to tell the person running the scan this information.

- Max