Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Why the "Linux goofiness" socket writability check?

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 13:31:03 -0600

On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 01:14:58PM +0400, Solar Designer wrote:
On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 09:15:00PM -0600, David Fifield wrote:
I tried to find an old Linux to test it with. I tried a Linux 2.4 live
CD but Nmap wouldn't run compiled against a newer Glibc, even compiled
statically. I compiled it under a 2.6.8.1 live CD from 2004, and version
detection, NSE, and Ncat worked without any problem.

You can try an Owl live CD, which currently uses Linux 2.4.37.2-ow1
(yes, we're that conservative, although this is about to change), but it
also includes development tools working right off the live CD and
capable of building the latest Nmap from source.  Moreover, Nmap 5.00 is
there, in three forms: installed on the live CD, an RPM package for
installs onto hard drives, and a source code tarball (also, there are
our patches on top of Nmap 5.00 in the native tree).

Thanks, that was a good idea. I downloaded the image you suggested and
tested Nmap with the changes with no problems.

David Fifield