Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: NSE Socket Operation on a non-socket

From: jah <jah () zadkiel plus com>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 12:42:28 +0100

On 18/07/2009 21:59, Brandon Enright wrote:
On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 20:00:06 +0100 or thereabouts jah
<jah () zadkiel plus com> wrote:

So it looks like it might be the OS jumping in and messing things up.
I'm going to pick through a capture file and see if this is what
happened yesterday when running banner and smb-enum-shares.

It's pretty common to see the Winsock layer get corrupted in some way
and produce the "operation can not be performed on something that isn't
a socket" error.

I guess it's a stretch but your Winsock keys may be corrupted.  You can
try deleting HKLM/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/Winsock and
Winsock2, rebooting (they will be remade), and then running on the
command prompt "netsh interface ip reset log".

This isn't a complete reset of all things Winsock related but it's a
pretty good start.  An even more comprehensive thing to do would be to
unregister/reregister the networking related DLLs, uninstall TCP/IP (it
can be done) and reinstall it.  I can detail those steps for you if you
think this problem might be corruption related rather than Windows
idiocy.
Thanks Brandon, I hadn't considered these possibilities.  Something else
which occurred to me was that I was doing the testing against a VMware
remote host which was running on the local host with a bridged interface
- perhaps this was causing some weirdness.  To kill many birds with one
stone, I set-up a new XP SP3 install on a fresh partition and ran Nmap
from there.  It turned-out that the behaviour is repeatable on the new
XP, my main XP and an XP VM in any combination.

I would say it's straight-up windows idiocy.

jah