Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Add XML support to NSE

From: Patrick Donnelly <batrick () batbytes com>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 13:40:35 -0400

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 9:38 AM, Ron <ron () skullsecurity net> wrote:
On 09/29/2009 01:57 AM, Patrick Donnelly wrote:

Generally we only add libraries when a script part of the trunk makes
use of that library. You will need to also give us a viable script
before we consider using this library addition.

I agree, but I think it's a good idea to keep this patch in mind and
evaluate its potential inclusion when we DO run into the need to parse XML
in a script (and I'm sure it's going to happen at some point -- it's only a
matter of time).

I'm going to look at Duarte's patch more closely, but in response to
Ron's valid point, I want to say that there probably will be an XML
parser available soon but it most likely will not use a C library for
parsing. It is a matter of time before Roberto's (the architect of
Lua) LPeg [1] string pattern matching library (using PEGs) is part of
the standard distribution (and consequently, part of NSE). It's very
well suited for this type of parsing (in Lua!) so I am hesitant to
approve of any C libraries which assist in parsing some language/data
format. We need to carefully analyze C library additions because of
main executable bloat (we no longer use shared libraries). There is no
reason to add a C library where an equivalent Lua runtime loadable
(shared) library can work in its place.

[1] http://www.inf.puc-rio.br/~roberto/lpeg/lpeg.html

--
-Patrick Donnelly

"Let all men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely
ford that see the shallows."

- Benjamin Franklin