Nmap Development mailing list archives

Host status recording with traceroutes

From: Felix Ingram <f.ingram.lists () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 09:40:31 +0100

Hello all,
I'm trying to do some fairly large pings and traceroutes with nmap 5. When
trying to --resume the scans I noticed a couple of things.

1. Resuming off the gnmap file gave me the: "WARNING: No targets were
specified..." error. A quick google suggested that I should remove the
already scanned hosts from my target file and all would be well.

2. While extracting the already scanned targets I noticed that none of the
"down" hosts had been recorded. I tracked this down to the --traceroute
option.

Without --traceroute (greppable):
# Ports scanned: TCP(0;) UDP(0;) SCTP(0;) PROTOCOLS(0;)
Host: xxx.xxx.0.16 ()       Status: Down
Host: xxx.xxx.0.78 ()     Status: Up
Host: xxx.xxx.0.85 ()     Status: Up

With --traceroute  (greppable)
# Ports scanned: TCP(0;) UDP(0;) SCTP(0;) PROTOCOLS(0;)
Host: xxx.xxx.0.78 ()     Status: Up
Host: xxx.xxx.0.85 ()     Status: Up

So my question is: is this the expected behaviour?

My command line was:
nmap -sP -PE -T5 -vvvvvvvv -oA pings_and_trs -iL targets.txt --traceroute

Felix