Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Problem with ZenMap in OSX

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 14:48:06 -0600

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 08:53:54PM +0300, Panos Germanis wrote:
On 23     2009, at 6:50   , David Fifield wrote:
On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 05:03:47AM +0300, Panos Germanis wrote:
I have recently installed the nmap suite in my Mac running OSX
10.5.8, but I cannot run the ZenMap GUI of nmap. When I am double
click on it it asks me for my password and then nothing. I have X11
2.4.0 if this helps you.

What happens if you click "Cancel" at the password screen? Open the
Console application after the program exits and see if there are any
messages about Zenmap in system.log. If so, send them to this list.

First of all thanks for your reply. I 've done your instructions and
the program ran without problems, except a message before showing the
main window. The message said "Non-root user" and that some features
will be disabled.

I want to tell you some more details about my system. I am using the
computer in a network environment. The server that identifies and
authenticates mac users is an openLDAP server that runs on Ubuntu
Linux 9.04. I am trying to run the Zenmap after logon as a network
user and not as local mac osx user. I believe this is not a problem
because a have set that user to be able to administrate the computer.

I also tried to give at the password window that pops up after double
clicking the zenmap, the local username and password, but I have the
same side effect. The program did not load.

What happens after you enter the password? Does the password dialog go
away completely? Or does it remain with a message like "Sorry, you
entered an invalid username or password."?

Please run the Console application and see if there are any messages
about Zenmap in system.log. Open the folder /Applications/Utilites and
click the Console icon. Then click system.log and see if there are any
message mentioning Zenmap after the program fails to start.

David Fifield