Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Fail error of nmap on Win Vista

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 08:56:26 -0600

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 11:40:36PM -0500, Santiago Monterrosa wrote:
Hi there, I've just installed nmap on my machine, which is running Windows
Vista, I installed nmap along with zenmap, ncat, ndiff, and I've got the
following error message

Starting Nmap 4.90RC1 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2009-06-29 23:17 Central
Daylight Time (Mexico)

NSE: Loaded 0 scripts for scanning.

Initiating Ping Scan at 23:17

dnet: Failed to open device eth4

QUITTING!
After following command: nmap -O -v 201.149.5.34

the command was executed on both command line and Zenmap interface and the
error message still the same, I even used other different options, looks the
cause is the interface but is not clear to me how to fix it.

Make sure you are running as an administrator. I think you right-click
on the icon and select "Run as administrator" or something like that.

David Fifield