Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Preferred Linux distribution for building 32-bit RPMs?

From: Corey Chandler <lists () sequestered net>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 21:44:12 -0700

Fyodor wrote:
(snip)
My current plan is to use Fedora Core 10.  But other options, such as
CentOS, exist.  If anyone has reasons for using (or not using) any
specific distribution, let me know!

Cheers,
-F

I'd advise using CentOS; Fedora 9/10 (or is it 10/11? I can never remember) will be tweaked and stabilized to form RHEL 6, which in turn becomes CentOS 6. As a result, Fedora 10 (they did away with the "core" moniker a year or two ago) is effectively the "latest and greatest," which unfortunately includes libraries that may well not exist on a distro that's less bleeding edge. Assuming you miss a dependant library at some point, this could become a bit tricky to track down; using an older distro that's less subject to changing / being discontinued within 18 months might be less management overhead going forward. As always, thanks for writing nmap...

--
Corey Chandler / KB1JWQ
Living Legend / Systems Exorcist