Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap 4.85BETA5: Now with Conficker detection!

From: LevelZero <levelzero () retry org>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 18:43:40 +0200

On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 13:03:19 -0700, Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org> wrote:
Hi All!  We found out just yesterday about new research by Tillmann
Werner and Felix Leder of a way to anonymously scan for Conficker worm
infections!  Ron sprang into action and added the detection to the
smb-check-vulns NSE script!  I even had to infect one of my own
systems for Ron to test with.  David and Brandon helped too.  And now
we're happy to release Nmap 4.85BETA5, which includes the Conficker
detection!

You can find it on the download page:

http://nmap.org/download.html

I just noticed that the download links on the download page seem to give
403 errors across the board.
A little digging showed that they are linking to
http://download.insecure.org/nmap-dist/filename

Looking through the old download page, which suddenly appeared from my
cache, I saw the old (4.76 and 4.85beta4) downloads linked from
http://nmap.org/dist/filename.

I tried this URL on the new 4.85beta5 and I could download from there.

In short, http://download.insecure.org/nmap-dist/nmap-4.85BETA5.tar.bz2
gives a 403, while http://nmap.org/dist/nmap-4.85BETA5.tar.bz2 works.

With so many people probably wanting to download because of Conficker, I'd
thought I'd report this ASAP.