Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Request for feedback :)

From: Diman Todorov <diman.todorov () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 12:14:51 +0100

how is that different from nagios[1]?

diman

[1] http://www.nagios.org/

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 10:04 AM, Dieter Van der Stock
<dietervds () gmail com> wrote:
Hello everyone,

my name is Dieter Van der Stock. I'm a college student studying for Civil
Engineer - Computer Science in Belgium, and a beginning security
enthousiast. I'm new to the dev-list and to security-tools development in
general, so please forgive any technical shortcomings :)

For my thesis I'm making a program based on nmap and ndiff, which I would
like to share with the open-source world if you guys think it could be of
use. If the feedback is positive enough, I would like to suggest the further
development of it for the GSoc program during my summer holiday.

The problem that my tool would try to adress is the following: the company
that asked me to make it do a lot of broadband research like performance
testing, deployment and testing of new broadband applications and so on.
Because of this research they often have to fiddle with the firewalls which,
as a result, often end up being misconfigured.
The admin would like a simple interface where they can program portscans of
their network, which then alerts them of any sudden changes every time that
the scan is re-run by the tool.
To make an already long story short: it would serve as a way of making the
cron-nmap-ndiff cycle transparant and automated to the admins. One can enter
several assignments through a webinterface which can vary in duration,
targets, interval, detail, etc, and he will only be bothered by the results
of the diff if it's worth it.

Obviously I describe it only briefly here, but I'm hoping that it can become
a useful tool for other administrators out there to check for sudden changes
in their network.
So I hereby ask for your feedback :) Any comments are welcome.

With kind regards,

Dieter