Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Ncat Users' Guide RFC

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 11:15:42 -0600

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 06:23:36PM +0200, ithilgore wrote:
David Fifield wrote:
On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 05:09:31AM +0500, M. Shuaib Khan wrote:
You might want to elaborate the following paragraph in the "Command
execution" section a bit more. It isn't easily comprehended on the first
read. May be statement reordering is needed(?).

The --exec option (alias -e) takes as an argument the full pathname of the
command to be executed, along with any arguments. Apart from argument
splitting, the command is not interpreted, only executed with exec.
--sh-exec (-c) is the same, except that it executes the command by passing
it to */bin/sh -c*. That means that it's not necessary to use the full
pathname of the command if it lies in the PATH, environment variable
references are expanded, and any other shell interpretation is done.

Thanks for your suggestion. I reread the section and I agree that it was
not clear. I rewrote it with examples for both --exec and --sh-exec.

http://nmap.org/ncat/guide/ncat-advanced.html#ncat-command-exec

David Fifield

For the following ncat user guide page:
http://nmap.org/ncat/guide/ncat-simple-services.html

I noticed the following:

1) One typo at 1st paragraph: comamnds instead of commands

Thanks; fixed.

2) At the last example (UDP chargen server) wouldn't it be more intuitive to use something other
than /dev/zero? Chargen sends a random number of characters, and /dev/zero always returns /0 so
no output will be shown at the client's side upon connecting to it.

I changed it to use yes like in the TCP example. You're right, it's
better for someone testing the command that they can see some output on
the screen.

David Fifield