Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Google/Nmap SoC 2009 Project Ideas?

From: majek04 <majek04+nmap-dev () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 11:52:33 +0000

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 20:45, Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org> wrote:
One of the most important requirements of a successful SoC is coming up
with a great "ideas page" which lists summer projects that students
can apply for.  They can always come up with their own completely new
ideas (and we encourage that sort of creativity), but most choose
ideas from our list or at least start with one for inspiration.

My two cents:

0) years ago there was an idea of using nmap to scan through chained proxies.

1) sending ip packets from NSE. currently one can send only raw ethernet
frames. I implemented it a year ago but it supported only sending ip
packets to known hosts (targets).
http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2008/q4/0616.html

Also dnet interface could be improved:
http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2008/q1/0541.html

2) the raw sockets interface requires you to 'register' (starts pcap)
and then 'receive' (blocks). it would be nice to be able to
'unregister' - to discard received packets without blocking. I also
have somewhere implementation, but I'm not sure if it's still working.
http://ai.pjwstk.edu.pl/~majek/private/nmap/nse-pcap-u2/partial/nsepcap-unregister-sendip.diff

3) Some synchronization between threads would be cool, I haven't
looked at current status of that in mainline nmap, but I'm sure it
could be improved!

4) there was some discussion about being able to bind to specific
outgoing port on nsock. I did some implementation but It was quite
hackish:
http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2008/q2/0429.html

5) I'm very keen in improving nsock, one of the basic ideas
would be to implement epoll instead of select.
http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2007/q4/0232.html

6) yet another idea is to move some nse-pcap logic to nsock. The
nsock-pcap  interface is pretty dumb, also pcap api in nse is
relatively simple. All magic of dispatching specific packet to
specific lua thread is in the middleware, currently in the nse*.c
files. This code could go to nsock - I believe that the dispatching
functionality actually belongs to nsock, but this maybe a bit
ambitious :)

In the end, I'd like to move the nmap code to lua :)

Marek Majkowski