Nmap Development mailing list archives

many scripts with output cause abort

From: Patrick Donnelly <batrick.donnelly () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 17:46:10 -0600

Hello list,

I've run into a problem that causes an ABORT for all the branches I'm
doing performance testing on for NSE. The problem appears to be
unrelated to NSE except having huge numbers of scripts with output
seems to cause it. Sometime while the output table is being printed
the code will mess the heap up. I've attached example output and the
shell script that creates the scripts.

This code should reproduce the issue:

batrick:~/nmap/svn/nmap$ rm scripts/*
batrick:~/nmap/svn/nmap$ sdb_test2.sh scripts
batrick:~/nmap/svn/nmap$ ./nmap --script-updatedb

Starting Nmap 4.85BETA4 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2009-03-16 02:16 MDT
NSE script database updated successfully.
Nmap done: 0 IP addresses (0 hosts up) scanned in 0.13 seconds
batrick:~/nmap/svn/nmap$ ./nmap --script all localhost
[...]

I truncated the rest.

Hopefully someone should be able to locate the issue as I am currently
unable to investigate this.

--
-Patrick Donnelly

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing
to do and always a clever thing to say."

-Will Durant