Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Installation of nmap on HP UX 11.31

From: 'David Fifield' <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 11:59:48 -0600

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 08:35:13AM +0100, David Meyer wrote:
Maybe something changed in this newer version of HP-UX. From looking at
the code, it looks like it is trying to read the file /dev/ip. Do you
have /dev/ip, and what are its contents?

I have a file /dev/ip. A cat on /dev/ip gives no output - should it?

# ls -l /dev/ip
crw-rw-rw-   1 root       root        72 0x000031 Mar 11 15:14 /dev/ip

-> Everyone have rw access to the file, so I think it's not a permission
problem.

I don't know any specifics about HP-UX, but if libdnet is looking into
the file and it's empty, that could be the source of the problem. Does
anyone know HP-UX? Is the /dev/ip node supposed to be empty?

David Fifield