Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Installation of nmap on HP UX 11.31

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 09:16:47 -0600

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 05:21:26PM +0100, David Meyer wrote:
Hello Nmap development/support team

I would like to install nmap-4.76. To do so I downloaded the build
dependencies like gmake gcc ... and did
# ./configure
# gmake
# gmake install

after the successful installation I get the following error:

# nmap google.com

Starting Nmap 4.76 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2009-03-11 17:16 MEZ

Warning: File ./nmap-services exists, but Nmap is using
/usr/local/share/nmap/nmap-services for security and consistency
reasons.  set NMAPDIR=. to give priority to files in your local
directory (may affect the other data files too).

Warning: Hostname google.com resolves to 3 IPs. Using 74.125.45.100.

getsysroutes: route_loop() failed

QUITTING!

I did not found any advice to resolve that problem. Could you please be
so kind to help me and tell me what I could do to use nmap on my HP UX
box.

Nmap uses libdnet to get system routes on most platforms. According to
the file libdnet-stripped/TODO, getting routes should be supported on
HP-UX. There is even a file src/route-hpux.c.

Maybe something changed in this newer version of HP-UX. From looking at
the code, it looks like it is trying to read the file /dev/ip. Do you
have /dev/ip, and what are its contents?

David Fifield