Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Rate limit branch for anyone interested

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 13:23:58 -0700

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 04:13:18PM -0300, João Medeiros wrote:
    I have download the branch but I did not see any data related to
the problem. Did you have sample sets (the big the better) of RTT's
for the case of rate-limit and network congestion? I can perform some
time-series analysis in this kind of data and see if this can help in
rate-limit detection.

The branch does not have any changes with respect to detecting rate
limiting. The only change is how it responds when it is detected. I
don't have any big samples of rate limiting and congestion.

Measuring changes in RTT is just one of the ways we considered to detect
rate limiting. See http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2009/q1/0049.html.

All my scan results from different rate limiting scenarios are at
http://www.bamsoftware.com/wiki/Nmap/PerformanceNotesArchive1.

David Fifield