Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Does Zenmap localization "just work" on Windows?

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 22:50:58 -0700

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 07:05:03PM -0700, David Fifield wrote:
I confirmed that you can get a translated version of Zenmap in Windows
by setting the LANG environment variable through the Control Panel, in
the System panel. I wanted to see if it would work by changing the
system language without setting LANG. But apparently to change the
language on Windows XP you need some Multilingual User Interface package
that isn't available to normal users.

Can someone with a German or Portuguese edition of Windows try running
Zenmap from Subversion and seeing if the translated text just comes up
naturally? Building Zenmap on Windows is no small task so I wouldn't be
surprised if most people aren't set up to do it. If that's the case,
I'll ask again after a future beta release.

The 4.85BETA1 release comes with localization support. Can someone with
a German or Portuguese edition of Windows try it and say if Zenmap is
translated without setting LANG like is described at
http://nmap.org/book/zenmap-lang.html?

David Fifield