Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: SCTP howto?

From: Daniel Roethlisberger <daniel () roe ch>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 00:32:09 +0100

David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com> 2009-01-21:
On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 10:33:30PM +0100, Daniel Roethlisberger
wrote:
I'm happy to announce that I checked in an initial version of
SCTP support into a newly created feature branch of Nmap
living at [1].  Right now, the branch is mostly equivalent to
my latest patchset from January 4th.

I'm excited to try this out. Could you give or point to a howto
for setting up an SCTP service? Like what kind of kernel
configuration is required, and some trivial echo server or the
like. The most fun I've been able to have so far is

./nmap -sY localhost All 36 scanned ports on localhost
(127.0.0.1) are closed

As long as you aren't actually using any of the fancy features
like multihoming or multistreaming, using an SCTP socket is
pretty much the same as opening a TCP socket.  For testing, try
the simplistic sctp-discardd [1] which I've whipped up as a
reaction to your message.

svn://svn.insecure.org/nmap-exp/daniel/sctp-utils/sctp-discardd

I think your patch implementing this will be helpful aside from
enabling SCTP: it shows what are the common chunks of code that
define each scan type. scan_engine.cc is, as you know,
humongous and hard to work in. I'd like eventually to keep just
the common code there and break everything scan-specific into
separate files.

I do agree.  I was tempted to actually refactor all the protocol
specific stuff into a more modular code layout, but refrained
from doing so because it would have made merging a pain.

--
Daniel Roethlisberger
http://daniel.roe.ch/