Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE + NSELib] Netbios and SMB [stable!]

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 15:02:08 -0600

On Mon, Oct 06, 2008 at 10:21:39PM +0200, Sven Klemm wrote:
| David Fifield wrote:
|> On Mon, Oct 06, 2008 at 10:33:19AM +0200, Sven Klemm wrote:
|  >
|> What happens if the parity check fails? Some kind of catchable error
|> ("OpenSSL error")?
|
| I think it should be an optional error, too, because when I calculate
| the key by hand, I'm not even calculating the parity bits, just making
| room for them.

Parity is apparently not checked by the EVP_Encrypt funtions. I
toggled the parity bits and encryption still worked and produced the
same result. There is a DES set_key function which checks for weak
keys and checks parity but this functionality does not seem to be
available separately. Do you think functions for setting and checking
are required or do you think one of them is sufficient?

That's interesting that OpenSSL ignores the parity bits. I don't know
exactly what scripts will need, but it seems that at least a function to
convert a 56-bit byte string to a 64-bit key with correct parity would
be required. Is that what you needed for your script, Ron?

David Fifield