Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nping development

From: "Henri Doreau" <henri.doreau () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 10:57:14 +0100

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. I've opened a project on sourceforge under the
name of APing2. There is nothing really interesting yet but I hope
that it will reach the required quality level soon.
I would have opinions about some options. hping2 has "modes" you can
call typing -1, -2...
But nmap and ncat use -6 to enable ipv6, that might be confusing. What
would you prefer : give priority to nmap like options (and rename the
original hping2 modes) or hping2 ones (and rename the ipv6 flag), in
this case I mean.

To answer your question, our old aping project is available at :
https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/aping
(If you want to try APing you should use the CVS version). But I must
warn you, APing is really different from what we want APing2 to be. It
deals with icmp echo, address mask, timestamp and information requests
only.

A good place to start would be to summarize the work you've already
done. Is there a link for APing? Then a good start would be to post a
list of features you intend to support and what the command line options
for them would be.

David Fifield

Thanks again for the advise. I'll post this as soon as the software
core will be more consequent.

Regards

Henri